Thursday, 16 August 2012

Get Back Up Agian

I often wonder if I was a sailing ship how would I fare. I am not very good at tact, and quite often have the wind sucked from my sails. As a ship I would probably end up on a rocky shore, with all hope lost, being destroyed by the relentless waves. Thankfully I am not a ship. Nor am I simply an empty vessel.


As a human being with live by our emotions, and that can make us vulnerable. We like to be liked, and even though we don’t show it often, we hate to be disappointed. It would be nice not to be so easily bruised by the world around us, but that is just life.

One of our other problems as a person is we tend to only hear the bad things people say. We remember the negative things people say to us, and forget the praise. We can be foolish creatures. It’s not the thousand compliments we get that make us happy, but that one negative comment that keeps us awake at night.

I would like to say that I was above listening to the negative. I would love to say that I have a higher sense of ideal. However, I can’t. Like most people, I too hear that one pessimistic voice over the optimistic roar. It can really be depressing.

Thankfully I have learnt over the years to quickly stop listening to that one voice. That doesn’t mean that I don’t hear them, or that I am not still affected by it. It means that I have come to realise that they are not the only voice. That theirs is not the only opinion I should be hearing.

It’s not easy to let go of negative comments, but you can do it. First step is not to compare yourself to others. You are not them, you live your own life and you have made your own choices. Be happy about your life. The second point is to look for the good things in your life. Look for the positives instead of focusing on the negatives. This takes time but it soon becomes a habit and will affect how you see the world.

There will always be people that can knock you down. There will always be people that will tell you that they know more, have more, have been to more places, have more friends or even have a better life have than you, even if they don’t. Even if they do, it’s not important. What is important is that you like your life. You need to find the good things in it and celebrate them.

No matter what anyone else has done, they can’t take away the hard effort you have put in to be where you are now. If you’re not in a spot where you want to be, no one can stop you from getting there. Your life, like mine, is unique and wonderful. So stop caring about the opinions of others and enjoy who you are right now.



P.S. Just as footnote. I had the wind sucked from my sails just the other day. However, within half an hour I was told something nice that lifted me again. I still though about what the first person said, but I didn’t make it more important than the nice comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.