Monday, 30 November 2015

Negative People Will Hold You Back

I was stopped on the way into work today by a colleague. They were adamant that the reason I had cut back on some of the work I had been doing was because I was not happy with the response I was getting. I looked him straight in the eye and told him he was dead wrong. I said “ No, I am not cutting back work because of that. The truth is I want out. I want out as soon as possible.”

He was a little surprised. For him teaching is the best thing that you could ever do. How could anybody ever want to get out?

This is not the first time I have had this reaction. And I can assure you, when you start tell people this you will get the same thing.

The thing is people can not understand why you want to leave and start your own business. Some will think that you are crazy for taking such a great risk. Your business could fail. For them that type of risk is not for them, they want a safe and secure job. They have bills to pay and items to buy. How will they keep up with the Jones’s if they don't have money coming in?

Some will think that you are being rude. They think that you're wanting to leave and do your own business is saying that the job you, and they, are doing is beneath you. By wanting to leave you are putting them down. These will be the people that will point out all the benefits about the job and how much they love it. They will also repeat to you over and over again, why would you want to leave such a good job?

Then there is those who will be jealous of you. They are the people that dream of a better life, yet do not yet have the courage to change their lives. These people talk about doing things but never take a risk. They will try to hold you back. They will try to talk you out of doing what you want because if you go, it will just prove to them that you had more courage.

Only every now and again will you find someone that will actually support you. They will encourage you and push you to get things done and hope that you will actually be successful. They are normally older people that have been in the job a long time and regret that they never took the chance and don't want to see you make the same mistake.


I have all of these people at my current workplace. Everyday I have people telling me it's risky. That I will never make money from what I am doing. What I love about the person who told me that was I know they have never done what I am doing. So how would they know?

I have another person who likes to tell me that how much they love the job. They parade around telling me how good their last lesson was and how lucky they are to be a teacher. They LOVE! their job.

And I also have a person who is jealous of me. They have told me how much they are going to do and how great their life is. They are also sneaky. They try to stop me by wasting my time or trying to manipulate me into various things. That way I don't have the opportunity to work on my business.

I am fortunate, however, to have one person who is supportive and pushing me further. I think that they may be a little envious, but they are honest in want to see me do more.

There is one way to avoid the negative people that try to hold you back, and that is to say nothing at work. But that is not me. I talk, not brag, but talk about what I am doing. I do so because I want to encourage people to do more with their lives, even the people that don't want to leave their jobs.

If I go back to my original point. I want out. I want to be running my own business and doing my own thing. It is not for the money, but for the freedom that running my business will give me. I will decide when, where, how, why, and with who I will do business with. And I will not let anybody hold me back.

There is a great big world out there full of opportunity. And that opportunity is not just for the young, the beautiful, the rich or even the smart. It is their of everybody. So go out and get it, and don’t let the negative people hold you back.

In ten year you can say “I wish I had”, or you could say, “I’m glad I did.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.